Welcome to DebWrt
DebWrt provides firmware to run Debian GNU/Linux on a vast amount of embedded devices, for example wireless routers. DebWrt connects two very powerful technologies: Debian and OpenWrt/LEDE. Allowing to manage ‘small’ devices like a full size Debian server.
Debian has a great package management system and includes thousands of packages for many architectures. OpenWrt/LEDE has great Linux kernel support for many devices. Bringing these two strengths together opens a whole new world of possibilities. It is greatly underestimated what these embedded devices are capable of.
Running Debian on smaller devices can turn the device into something more than it was supposed to be. All Debian supported software is just one apt-get install away.
For more an overview of supported hardware, installation and usage instructions: Documentation and development.
- Download firmware and a root filesystem
- Build DebWrt from SVN
See Documentation for an overview of supported hardware, installation and usage instructions.
Status Automated Builds
Downloads / Debian Package Sources
Add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list, replacing [debian-release] with a Debian release name (sid, strech, jessie, wheezy).:
deb http://packages.debwrt.net/debwrt/ [debian-release]-debwrt-stable main contrib non-free
More information: here
For low memory (<64M) system, which have a hard time running apt-get update, DebWrt provides a Debian mirror containing a, still very large, subset of all Debian packages.
- Available component: main
- Available distributions: sid, stretch, jessie
- Available architectures: mips, mipsel
- Number of packages: ~13.000 (of ~50.000 in total)
- Sections included: shells, httpd, database, editors, php, text, admin, web, utils, net
deb http://debian.debwrt.net/ [debian-release] main
Please contact me if you feel a package or section is missing.
- Build a custom DebWrt kernel/firmware for many devices supported by OpenWrt/LEDE
- Build a custom Debian root filesystem (multiple Debian releases supported)
- make menuconfig (select desired device, Debian architecture and Debian release)
- make openwrt/all (build kernel/firmware, optionally add V=s for debug output)
- make rootfs/all (build the Debian root filesystem)
See SVN access for instructions.